The perfect Pour-Over
The Pour-Over is one of the most popular coffee-making methods today. One cup at a time, no other method offers a more personalized brewing experience. This is an extremely simple method that highlights the complexity and bright notes in a coffee and yields a balanced, clean, and sweet flavor. The Pour-Over method works by allowing water to flow over freshly ground beans into a paper lined glass cone, extracting essential oils as the brewed coffee drips through to your cup. The secret to success is slow, careful pouring, precise measuring and the correct water temperature.
What you need:
- This brew method works well with any of our Segafredo Blends; for its liveliness and complexity one of our personal favorite is the medium roast VIVACE
- Use medium ground coffee for even extraction and full body
- Any Pour-Over Dripper
- Paper Filters
- Kitchen Thermometer
- Spring water (heated to 195°F to 205°F in a kettle)
- Long spoon to stir the coffee
- Use 25 grams of coffee and 400 grams of water for 12oz of coffee
- Use 38 grams of coffee and 600 grams of water for 18oz of coffee
- Use 50 grams of coffee and 800 grams of water for 24oz of coffee
- Heat the spring water up to a temperature between 195°F to 205°F.
- Place the paper filter inside the cone. Pour hot water through the filter to wet it, allow the water to drain completely. Drain the water and dry the cone.
- Pre-heat your cup(s) then dry.
- Add the ground coffee into the wet paper filter.
- Place the cone onto the scale and tare down to zero.
- Start the timer and slowly pour in just enough hot water to saturate the coffee bed, moving the stream in a circular pattern be sure to saturate all of the grounds.
- Let the gases be released for the first 30 seconds, allowing the coffee to bloom.
- Pour the remainder of the water in a slow circular motion keeping the level about 1 inch below the top of the filter.
- According to the brew recipe selected, when you are half-way through the hot water, stir the coffee to allow for an even extraction.
- Continue pouring the hot water to the desired amount (according to the brew recipe selected).
- When the extraction is complete remove the paper filter and dispose of it.
- Pour the coffee into the cup and enjoy!